Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Low Resolution














I ought to resolve to write one story a week this year, but then I might feel obligated to do it. Sigh. I really should. I need the practice. Also, I need someone with a roasting fork standing behind me telling me to write. Most essays written by writers about writing agree on two things:

- There will be a gap of between 7 to 10 years from the time you begin writing and the time you begin writing stuff that people will pay to read

- Practically everything that writers write in essays about writing is crap.

The problem is, I figure if I don't spend those 7 to 10 years actually writing, they don't count.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not forcing myself to do something I hate to do. Writing is not like cleaning the toilet. Well, actually it sort of is. I love telling stories. Writing, however, is not telling stories. Writing is the work you do to tell a story. I like having a clean toilet, but cleaning the toilet is not having a clean toilet. It is the work you do to have a clean toilet.

Ok. Here goes. One short story a week. I should have 52 by this time next year.

1 comment:

Brandon and Jenny said...

Go for it! Do you have a size in mind? 1500 words? 3000?

Just put it on the page, man. And you're right - writing is work. But just sit and start typing. Some will be great, other's crap. Don't worry. Just keep typing.

I look forward to your stories! I like them.